50 interesting facts about the Philippines
1. The great Republic of the Philippines, located on the earth on the territory eponymous archipelago.
The Philippines is the many islands in Southeast Asia, lost in the Pacific Ocean.
2. The Philippines islands owns approximately eight thousand islands, and also five thousand of them don't have permanent inhabitants or even names.
3. Philippines got their name in honor of the Spanish King Philip II
4. The Philippines has a first place growing population around all the countries of Southeast Asia.
5. Many inhabitants of the Philippines (80%) profess Catholicism. In amount of the number of Catholics, the Philippines has third largest in the world.
Manila - the capital of the Philippines
6. The Philippine capital Manila is the most populous city in the world. There are even more residents here than in Jakarta or Beijing.
7. The name of the capital of the Philippines - Manila - the city received because of the mangrove - Maynilad.
8. In the Philippines capital, Manila and popular city Cebu it is forbidden to smoke on the street and in public places. The same situation is in many local cities.
9. Filipinos always and everywhere strictly follow the line.
10. In the capital of the Philippines, the city of Manila, there is a monument which name Memorare Manila Monument
Memorare Manila Monument, cebusite.com
11. The Philippines is the just country in the world that has two official flags. If the country is at war, then the national flag everywhere rises upside down.
12. Philippines fought with the United States in the past century.
13. On the Philippine island of Leyte, the largest naval battle in history occurred: the USA - Japan during the Second World War.
14. In most country banks and big stores and malls in the Philippines, armed police are on duty.
15. Spanish until the end of the 19th century was the only written language in the Philippines. His compulsory study in schools ceased only in 1986.
University of San Carlos
University of San Carlos, cebusite.com
16. The University of Philippines of San Carlos in Cebu is older than Harvard and is the oldest in Asia.
17. The Philippines is a southern state. This is a wonderful warm country, it is famous for the friendliness of the locals and the pleasant climate.
18. In the Philippines, there are no seasons. They do not have winter, autumn, summer and spring seasons, but only wet and dry. Most likely, this is due to the weather on the islands.
19. The Philippines is the third most populous English-speaking country in the world.
20. Most Filipinos speak good English, as this language is one of the official languages.
21. Filipinos are natural born sailors. Around the sailors of the merchant fleets of many countries, the Filipinos are the most popular employees. This profession is so popular around them, as it allows them to earn good money and help relatives who are left at home.
22. Philippine doctor Abelardo Aguilar discovered the antibiotic erythromycin.
23. The Philippine currency is called the peso. This name remains from the times of Spanish rule in these paradise islands.
Fort Santiago, cebusite.com
24. The Philippines gained independence only in 1946.
25. The Philippine diaspora is the largest in the world (about 11 million people).
Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao
26. The most famous Filipino is boxer Manny Pacquiao.
27. Most Filipinos love to eat deep-fried chicken with rice, which is sold even at McDonalds, Jollibee and Subway.
28. The basis of Filipino cuisine is rice. Residents of the islands eat at least 4 times a day.
29. Filipinos do not eat the usual fork and knife, but a spoon and a fork. Maybe eating rice with such a set of devices is much more convenient.
30. Banana leaves are often used in the Philippines as a disposable plate.
Puerto Princesa Underground River
Puerto Princesa Underground River, cebusite.com
31. The Puerto Princesa Underground River at Palawan is the largest underground river in the world.
32. The Philippines is the only country in the world exposed to all natural disasters. Typhoons, volcanic eruptions, and tsunamis, and earthquakes are not uncommon here.
33. A fluorescent lamp was invented in the Philippines by Agapito Flores.
34. All “white” Filipinos are called “sir.”
35. The Philippines hosts one of the most prestigious beauty contests - Miss Earth.
36. In the Philippines, a rainbow eucalyptus grows - it has a very bright and colorful bark.
37. In the Philippines, there are three shopping centers, which are on the list of the largest in the world.
38. The most popular sport in the Philippines is basketball.
39. There is a myth that karaoke appeared in Japan. But actually karaoke was invented in the Philippines by Roberto del Rosario. There are countless karaoke clubs where almost everyone sings, even those who can’t sing.
40. In the Philippines, the famous navigator Magellan was killed. By the way, at one time it was he who, visiting these islands for the first time, said that if there is paradise on Earth, then he is here.
41. The minor volcano on Earth is called Taal. It has placement on the Philippines.
taal volcano, cebusite.com
42. The largest pearl was found in the Philippines in 1934. Her weight is 6.5 kilograms.
43. In the Philippines, sometimes intercity buses have free Wi-Fi.
44. In the Philippines, there is no divorce procedure (Actually this procedure will can to be, but very hard process). Marriages are preserved until the end, and there are many children in families. Most families have the status of large families.
45. After each meal Filipinos are used to brushing their teeth, so they usually have a toothbrush and toothpaste with them.
Boracay Island, cebusite.com
46. The most popular tourist destination in the Philippines is Boracay Island.
47. The world's largest crocodile was caught in the Philippines. The hunt for him began when the media got reports of a giant beast attacking local residents.
48. The Philippines is the largest exporter of coconuts, bananas and pineapples.
49. In the Philippines, no one pays any attention to gays and transvestites, and treats them the same way as all other people.
50. Yo-Yo is the oldest Filipino toy that originally served as a weapon.